US Citizen Stranded Overseas
US Citizen Stranded Overseas
Precautions To Take Before Departing The USA
Before departing the US for vacation or overseas adventure, keep this in mind: we are living in a time where political upheaval, natural disasters and crime is elevated throughout, including right in our backyards. The following tips are measures which we should adhere to and include in our home based survival kit a.k.a. bug out bag:
- »Make three (3) copies of your Passport Identification page and Visa, if applicable;
- »Leave two (2) copies with family and friends whom you can readily contact in an emergency;
- »Take a copy with you; keep it in a separate safe place from your actual original Passport;
- »Leave copies of your itinerary and other details of your travels with friends and family- as they too can contact the authorities regarding your whereabouts in the event of a catastrophic event;
- »Scan and email a copy of your documents to yourself for subsequent retrieval if needed;
- »Travel with four (4) Passport Photos (taken within 30 days of your recent travels);
- »Take various forms of identifications; such as and not limited to : State Driver’s License, School ID, Work ID.;
- »Make sure to keep those items in a safe place to protect them from theft or from being lost;
- »Take a copy of your Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship, whichever is applicable.
Extended Stay Precautions
If planning to remain in one particular country or territory overseas for an extended period (over two weeks) or if country conditions are unstable: register with the US Embassy promptly upon your arrival- this will ensure or facilitate their ability to contact you in the event of an emergency and/or evacuation of US Citizens from the region.
Promptly report to the police; request an official Police Report.
Items Needed To Apply For Passport
- »Police Report;
- »DS-64 Form;
- »DS-11 Form;
- »Passport Photos, taken within the last 30 days.
- Passport Applications Within The USA
- Use this link for Locations where to apply by zip code.
- Expedited Services
- Utilize a Passport/Visa Expedite Service; or the Expedited Services of the US Department of State. Department of State.
For medical emergencies overseas contact the local US Embassy for a listing of Doctors/Hospitals or Medivac Services that cover the country location.
In the event that you are unable to provide the funds for your own transportation back to the US, you may apply for a Repatriation Loan.
Non US Citizen Resources If Stranded Overseas
- Eligibility may include the following:
- »Replacement of your Green Card;
- »Replacement of your I-94, Initial Non-Immigrant Arrival/Departure Records.
Stranded In The USA During Catastrophic Events In Your Homeland Overseas
Eligibility may include the following:
- »Humanitarian Parole;
- »Temporary Protected Status;
- »Application to Extend/Change Non-Immigrant Status;
- »Employment Authorization;
- »USCIS Application Fee Waiver, if eligible.
Catastrophic Events In Your Homeland
- »Refugee Status;
- »Humanitarian Parole.
Resources: US Citizens Stranded Overseas
Emergency “911″ by Country(pdf)
»US Dept. of State- Emergencies and Crises
»US Dept. of State- Send Money to US Citizens Overseas
»International Travel Information- Alerts/ Warnings/Country Specific Information
»FEMA- Catastrophic Event Resources (pdf)