For Immigration Lawyer Services in the Diaspora… Click here to contact us or Call 1.866.941.2229
US Citizen Stranded Overseas
If you are a US Citizen Stranded Overseas due to civil unrest, climatic disasters or economic hardship- You may qualify for a repatriation loan from the U.S. Government under these specific situations.
However, following the guidelines listed below may facilitate your safe return to the United States in the event of a catastrophic event where you find yourself stranded overseas…
Precautionary Measures Before Departing
Before departing the US for vacation or overseas adventure, keep this in mind: we are living in a time where political upheaval, natural disasters and crime is elevated throughout the world, including right in our backyards.
The following tips are measures which we should adhere to and include in our home based survival kit a.k.a. bug out bag:
- Make three (3) copies of your Passport Identification page and Visa, if applicable;
- Leave two (2) copies with family and friends whom you can readily contact in an emergency;
- Take a copy with you; keep it in a separate safe place from your actual original Passport;
- Leave copies of your itinerary and other details of your travels with friends and family- as they too can contact the authorities regarding your whereabouts in the event of a catastrophic event;
- Scan and email a copy of your documents to yourself for subsequent retrieval if needed;
- Travel with four (4) Passport Photos (taken within 30 days of your recent travels);
- Take various forms of identifications; such as and not limited to : State Driver’s License, School ID, Work ID…;
- Take a copy of your Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship, whichever is applicable;
- Make sure to keep the foregoing items in a safe place to protect them from theft ….
Extended Stay Precautions
If planning to remain in one particular country or territory overseas for an extended period (over two weeks) or if country conditions are unstable: register with the US Embassy promptly upon your arrival- this will ensure or facilitate their ability to contact you in the event of an emergency and/or evacuation of US Citizens from the region.
Lost or Stolen Passport
Report lost or stolen passport promptly to relevant authorities/police as soon as possible and be sure to request an official report.
Items Needed To Apply For Passport
- Police Report;
- DS-64 Form;
- DS-11 Form;
- Passport Photos, taken within the last 30 days.
- Use this link for Locations where to apply by zip code within the USA.
- Utilize a Passport/Visa Expedite Service; or the Expedited Services of the US Department of State.
Apply for a Passport Stateside
For medical emergencies overseas contact the local US Embassy for a listing of Doctors/Hospitals or Medivac Services that cover the country location.
In the event that you are unable to provide the funds for your own transportation back to the USA, you may apply for a Repatriation Loan.
Non US Citizen Resources If Stranded Overseas
Eligibility may include the following:
Currency Converter: XE.com
→ Send money fast, visit westernunion.com today. (affiliate)
Stranded In USA During Events In Your Homeland
Eligibility may include the following:
Catastrophic Events In Your Homeland
- Refugee Status;
- Humanitarian Parole.
Immigration Lawyer in the Diaspora Founder Yolette M. Saintiny, Esq. is a member of the New York State Bar and has been Helping People and Uniting Families Since 1995…
Call (866) 941-2229 to Request an Immigration Consultation.
“US Citizen Stranded Overseas” References
Emergency “911” by Country(pdf)
US Dept. of State- Emergencies and Crises
US Dept. of State- Send Money to US Citizens Overseas
US Embassies and Consulates
International Travel Information– Alerts/ Warnings/Country Specific Information
US Department of State
FEMA– Catastrophic Event Resources (pdf)
US Citizen Stranded Overseas first appeared on http://diasporaimmigration.org/; bookmark the permalink.